Friday, February 20, 2009

Some Mac Annoyances

A running list of things I don't like about the Mac:

- When you click on a menu item that expands to display more items, it'll either close the entire menu or close the expanded menu, depending on the application.
- Even though the Character Palette sits on top of applications, keyboard shortcuts actually control the app underneath it. For example, if I'm finished using the Character Palette and click ⌘-w or ⌘-q it'll close the app underneath, not the Character Palette.
- I'm not able to simply copy and paste from the Character Palette. I need to have a text field available and active, and then I need to double-click the character (glyph) I want.
- Resizing the Character Palette doesn't actually show me more characters, it just makes them bigger. Doh.
- When ⌘-tabbing between application, many times my mouse cursor is right in the middle of the screen. If I move it slightly, the cursor selects another application and when I let go of the keyboard shortcut it brings up that application.
- Why doesn't Firefox for Mac access dropdown and checkbox form fields when tabbing through them? 'Tarded.
- Taking a screenshot... I love the option to be able to select a certain area via ⌘-shift-4 or the whole screen via ⌘-shift-3, but I'd rather it didn't save it automatically to a file on the Desktop. Number 1 is that I have to then go find and open the file and then copy-and-paste it into the document I'm working with. Number 2 is that it produces clutter and I have to remember to delete it. Is there an option to just save to the clipboard? Edit: Yes! But it's a pretty convoluted key combination: ⌘-shift-control-3 or -4.
- Only being able to resize windows via the right-bottom corner is pretty limiting.

No comments: