Thursday, April 17, 2008

Being in an early developmental stage

Dictionary.com defines "budding" as "Being in an early developmental stage."

Even though I've worked as an Interface Designer and Information Architect for a little over 8 years now, I feel my knowledge of user experience (UX) doesn't span so long. I just recently started at a new company and I've come to realize how woefully stagnant I've become from doing the same thing over and over again.

Here are the requirements, churn out some wireframes. Next project.

But I was rejuvenated from attending the IA Summit 2008, inspired by presentations from Luke Wroblewski, Leah Buley, and Dan Brown. I was encouraged personally by Christina Wodtke who went out of her way to invite me into her fold and then asked me to do the same for others, and by Peter Van Dijck who spent time with me discussing online communities and shared advice on following through with some ideas I've had in my head.

So here I set out to grow in knowledge, fill up my toolbox, and, in turn, to encourage and share with others. Budding UX seems an appropriate title.

No comments: